Today, we're talking all about just about everyone's favorite wedding detail: cake and desserts! Following along in our journey of sharing 2022 wedding trends, we're bringing you sweet treats from each of the 5 trending wedding color palettes, styles, and themes we've spotted for this year! (Click here to check out that blog if you missed it!)
Wedding cakes can truly be an artistic masterpiece for your big day with different shapes, sizes, accents, and decadent cake flavors and icing options! Today's couples are also creating dessert stations by adding in other sweets and treats while still allowing the wedding cake to be a gorgeous focal point. Find tips, timelines, inspo, and more from local Madison, Wisconsin area vendors below!
WHAT TO KNOW + ASK
- Make sure your baker is licensed.
- Does the baker offer a tasting, and how many guests can attend?
- Do they have pictures of their creations?
- How many weddings do they book on a weekend?
- How far in advance do they make the cake, and how does that affect the taste?
- Do they offer vegan or gluten-free options?
- How large is a serving size?
- How big of a cake or how many dessert pieces will you need?
- Who provides the cake knives?
- Decide who will be cutting the cake and if you want to do the traditional cutting of the first piece.
- Will flowers or other decorative pieces be added to the cake or dessert display, and by whom?
- Do you need cake stands, decorative dessert trays, display table, or buffet?
- Is there an additional fee for delivery and setup?
- Ask about pricing, deposit, or payment schedule.
- Is there anything that needs to be returned, and when?
- Do you plan to freeze the top cake layer for your anniversary? Discuss with the baker, as some give suggestions while others will make a fresh cake later.
6-12 MONTHS BEFORE: Contact bakers to discuss ideas and set up a tasting. Book on the earlier side of your wedding is during a peak time, or if it's a popular baker that may book up quickly.
6 MONTHS BEFORE: Design consultation, choices + flavors.
2 MONTHS BEFORE: Final tweaks to design details.
2-3 WEEKS BEFORE: Give the final guest count to your baker, verify all details, make final payment.
- Cake & desserts are priced per serving, so know how many you need to serve.
- Come with ideas in mind or let your cake designer be creative with an edible masterpiece.
FLAVORS + FILLINGS
- Visit bakers for tastings to help you decide on something you love or that may be popular with your guests.
- Buttercream, whipped cream, rolled fondant...explore your options!
- Additional accents such as flowers, cake jewelry, ribbon, hand-paintings, geodes, a special cake topper, or any additional decor for the entire display?
- Consider buying or renting a cake stand or dessert trays to add elegance or uniqueness to your display.
DESSERT VIBES | BRIDGERTON
DESSERT VIBES | MOODY WOODSY
DESSERT VIBES | MODERN VOGUE
DESSERT VIBES | RAW EARTHY
DESSERT VIBES | NOSTALGIC RETRO
Check out our TOP local Madison, Wisconsin area wedding cake and dessert vendors here! Ready to explore more from our 2022 magazine? Click here!